The Town of Somers owns several historic properties - Mt. Zion Church and Cemetery, use
today as the Town Hall.
Mt. Zion Church and Cemetery, a National Register Site
Mt. Zion Church is the earliest church built in Somers and the second oldest surviving
Methodist Church building in Westchester County. It was built in 1794 by Micajah Wright,
son of pioneer Daniel Wright and ancestor to
Caroline Wright Reis. Located at the entrance
at the entrance to Reis Park, Mt. Zion Church
was originally a one- story building and
was added upon in 1860. Like many churches
of its day, the building's architecture and
ornamentation are austere and more reflective
of a simple farmhouse than a church.
The last regular church service was conducted
in 1897. It passed into the care of the
Methodist Church in Katonah until being
deeded to the Town of Somers in 1973.
Today, Mt. Zion is listed on the National
Register of Historic Places, owned by the
Town of Somers and interpreted by Somers
The Wright-Reis Homestead
The Wright-Reis Homestead,
circa 1845, was the home of
benefactress to the Town of
Somers. The land which now
comprises the Wright-Reis
Homestead and Reis Park was
purchased in 1762 by Daniel
Wright, one of the first settlers
in Somers. (Daniel's son
Micajah was also a local farmer
and carpenter who built
Mt. Zion Church).
The original home on this
property was located about
half way between the present
home and Mt. Zion Church. In 1835, the property was purchased by William Marshall. It was
during his ownership that the present house was built. The farm came back into the hands of the
Wright family upon its purchase by Samuel P. Wright, an attorney and father of Caroline, in
1869. In 1908 Caroline married Walter Reis. She and Mr. Reis moved into the home in 1913.
Mrs. Reis, who died in 1967 at the age of 85, bequeathed the Wright family home, its
outbuildings, their contents and 82 acres of land to the Town of Somers for educational and
recreational purposes. The Wright Reis Homestead is owned by the Town of Somers and
interpreted by Somers Historical Society.
The Tomahawk Chapel and Cemetery
In 1837 Somers, the scattered farm population in the western section of town felt too distant to
benefit from the educational and religious advantages of places closer to the hamlet. In that
same year, same year, local resident Tom Miller built Tomahawk Chapel to address those needs.
Hachaliah Bailey described its size as being no bigger than a tiger's cage. Tomahawk Chapel lies
adjacent to Koegel Park on Route 118 and is accessible by foot via hiking trail. Tomahawk
Chapel is owned by the Town of Somers and interpreted by Somers Historical Society.