The Somers Historical Society offers free cultural
and educational programs, as well as guided tours
of the historic properties (Elephant Hotel, Mt. Zion
Church, Tomahawk Chapel, and Wright-Reis
Homestead) in the Town of Somers. The Society
collects and archives a collection of materials
related to local history and early development of
the Early American Circus. The Museum of the
Early American Circus and local history is located
on the 3rd floor of the circa 1825 Elephant Hotel
located at 335 Route 202.
The Museum is open to the public on Thursdays,
from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m., Memorial Day, Veteran's
Day and by appointment by calling 914-277-4977.
The exhibits are comprised of items from the
permanent collection, as well as changing exhibits.
Permanent collection exhibits are generally found
on the 3rd floor of the Elephant Hotel, while
changing exhibits can be found on all three floors
of the Elephant Hotel (also known as the Somers
An exhibition featuring items returning from the Somers Historical
Society collections originally loaned to institutions for exhibitions
outside of Somers.
Somers @ 225, the Society's year-long celebration of events
commemorating the Town's incorporation as Stephenstown in 1783.
|Somers Town House
335 Route 202
Somers, New York 10589